This is a great family recipe for all the family and is ideal after weight loss surgery as it is packed with goodness and easy to digest. The anti-inflammatory qualities of the sweet potato, spinach, garlic and turmeric can, when eaten regularly, help to relieve inflammation in conditions like osteoarthritis.
Low in fat, sodium and sugar but high in protein this is great as a lunch, snack or main meal. You can experiment with spices, add chilli powder or Cajun spices if you like, or add some anti-inflammatory red or green peppers.
Serve with a small portion of brown rice, with a green salad or vegetables such as broccoli for a healthy, filling low fat meal, perfect after lap band surgery, gastric bypass surgery or just because it’s healthy and delicious!
Nutritional value per serving (1/4 yield):
Calories: 219 Carbohydrates: 35g
Fat: 5.9g Protein: 8.2g
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin
3 tsp turmeric
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 large sweet potato, cubed
1 cup butternut squash, cubed
1 can chick peas
2 cans tomatoes
50 g spinach leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add onions and soften for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the cumin and turmeric (and any other spices you fancy to your own taste), stir and cook gently for another minute.
- Add the sweet potato and squash and fry until they are coated in the oil and spices
- Stir in the tomato paste, then add the tomatoes and chick peas.
- Stir and simmer gently for 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Just before serving, stir in the spinach leaves until they are wilted.