March is National Nutrition Month. This month we have looked at some steps you can take to help you to eat more healthily, including finding out the calories present in the food you are eating, learning the difference between good sugars and carbohydrates and unhealthy, processed ones, and planning ahead. We discovered that a medium takeout pizza contains nearly 2,500 calories! This pizza recipe is great for all of the family and because of the extra thin pizza base and healthy, low fat toppings it contains less than half the calories of a regular takeout pizza. Treat yourself with delicious flavors and no guilt!
Nutritional value per serving (1/4 yield):
Calories: 299 Carbohydrates: 37.8g
Fat: 7g Protein: 21g
10g dried yeast4
125 ml warm water
5 ml salt
200g wholemeal flour
400g canned tomatoes (or you can use tomato paste)
200g Half Fat Mozzarella Cheese 
4 asparagus spears
Basil (dried or fresh)
- Warm your mixing bowl by swilling it with hot water. Put the yeast in the bowl and add the water and sugar, mixing together with a fork. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- When the yeast has dissolved, add in the salt and half of the flour, stirring until it is well mixed in. Continue to add flour until it starts to form dough.
- Sprinkle a work surface with flour and turn your dough out onto the surface, kneading for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Place your dough in a lightly oiled mixing bowl, cover it with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place for about 45 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size. When this is done, punch the dough back to release the air and knead for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Pat the dough in a ball on your floured work surface and roll out until it is about 12-14 inches in diameter. (the dough will be quite thin, if it is easier you may roll the dough on a ready-greased pizza pan.
- Either blend your tinned tomatoes, or use tomato paste or passata, spread evenly over your base.
- Chop your mozzarella into small chunks and scatter over the base, add your asparagus spears evenly spaced around the pizza, followed by your egg in the center of the base.
- Sprinkle with your fresh spinach and a little basil to taste, then cook in the oven at 250° for 20 minutes, until the base is golden and the cheese has melted.
Enjoy with a brightly colored salad and fat free dressing.